Saturday 2 April 2011

Giverny...

Today has been a true delight.
I awoke early this morning to the sun streaming in through my blinds and the bird's singing right outside my window. And the rest of the day didn't disappoint.
Maggie, Ashleigh and I had been saying for so long how we wanted to go to Giverny to visit the house and gardens of Claude Monet, and so this being my final weekend we decided to go today and so we jumped on a train to Normandy.
The sun was out in full force projecting warmth of 23 which was pretty fantastic for March so we spent the majority of the day strolling through his gardens. They are absolutely beautiful. The range of flowers, colours and smells was breathtaking and having a good dose of sunshine made it all the better.



The gardens are also home to the bridge he painted in one of his most famous pieces 'Waterliles' and it's easy to see why he loved to paint here. The lake is simply charming and combined with the peaceful atomsphere it makes it's the perfect spot to spend a sunny afternoon.


It's also possible to have a look around Monet's house too which has been restored, but to look the way it was when he lived here. It was gorgeous. The walls were painted in bright pastels and the entire house had a traditional French cottage feel. Here is also his studio where some of his orginal paintings are displayed.
Unfortunately photos in the house are not allowed.... but here's the outside!
Today was such a fantastic day! I can honestly say that this has been one of the top things I have done in my time in Paris. An amazing way to end my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment